Friday, October 10, 2008

23 days to go...

With twenty-three days left until we leave to drive South to our boat in Indiantown FL, I've finally gotten my head around the fact that the time has come to prepare. I realized earlier this week that in the same way that I procrastinate beginning the process of getting ready to come home from our boat in the Spring, I've been procrastinating getting ready to head South.
Being a Libra, I'm something of a 'home body' and usually pretty content wherever I am. When I'm here, I hate the thought of leaving my summer friends and when I'm in The Bahamas, I hesitate to say 'goodbye' to my winter friends. I suppose it's a form of greaving. And of course, I'm greaving the loss of my dear Uncle.
So to set things on a different course, I e-mailed some of my winter friends and re-established connections. Now, I'm looking forward to meeting them again and feel much better about the transition period that I'm currently in.
The other thing that helped was to begin tracking in my day book, what I'm doing each day to prepare in the same way that I track what we do each day in the Spring when we're putting the boat away for the summer. It's been helpful to look back on my notes from the previous year in hopes of making the process easier each time we go 'round the cycle.
So Rusty's been to see Dr. Julie and obtained his International Health Certificate which he needs in order to clear Customs in The Bahamas. He's normally the first to be accepted into the country. Smile. And we have enough kitty litter to last until May and six months worth of organic garlic from my friend's organic garden.
Today, we had our teeth cleaned (Dr. Julie said Rusty's could wait until Spring) and we said 'goodbye' to Rennie, a friend whom we haven't seen since last summer. In previous years, we laughed about the 'welcome home party' coming close to turning into the 'bon voyage party' but this year it really happened.
I still can't believe the ramifications of living one's life here in six months. By the time we have all of our routine health appointments, there doesn't seem to be alot of time left. It's quite the experience and was a surprise to both Dave and myself.
So day by day, we're getting ready...all good stuff! Bahamas here we come.

No comments: